Terrifying Truth
Terrifying Truth
The
mirror shows an image. But there is no depth—no depth of understanding, no
glimpse into what lies beneath the surface. Is the image looking back at me the
person I truly want others to see, or simply the person I hope they will see?
I know that when I look at someone, I am
evaluating them, too. Do they like what I like? Do they believe as I do? Are
their morals the same as mine? And I wonder: when they look back at me, are
they asking themselves the same questions?
We all wear masks. We reveal our true
selves to only a limited few. The rest of the world sees the image we choose to
present, the reflection in the mirror, carefully shaped by what we want others
to believe about us.
But a mirror can only show us the surface.
It cannot reveal the fears that weigh upon us, the worries that keep us awake,
or the joy and hope that quietly live within us. It shows us the face we
present to the world, but never the story behind it.
What is the truth? Perhaps the terrifying
truth is that there are many truths within each of us, and depending on the
circumstances, different ones rise to the surface.

Comments
Post a Comment